Sunday, September 8, 2013

Little Adventures

When I was little, I had all these crazy ideas about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I imagined myself as Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, discovering all the secrets this world has to offer. I dreamed of being an Olympic soccer player, holding up a gold trophy to bring home and to be proud of. But life has a funny way of moving on and changing, no matter how you imagine the future.

Now, I am a 21 year old Journalism student, living on my own for the first time, working two jobs and trying to finish 16 credits. I compete on SRU's Clay Shooting Team, the Clay Busters, serve delicious food at Famiglia's down town, and deliver for NAPA Auto Parts across from Giant Eagle. Though I don't know where I'm headed and haven't yet unearthed one of the world's great mysteries, it's life's little adventures that keep me going and holding on. College just happens to be one of those. I have had many small blogs over the last 5 years, but none that I kept up with on a regular basis. I am hoping that this class will really help to mold my potential as a writer and to help me be confident in that as well.

 
SCTP State Shoot
(Don't mess with me!)

Being originally from a private Christian school, I was never introduced to any significant news sources until half way through high school. Sounds weird that I would pursue an education like this if I don't have much background in it, but college has helped find sources I can rely on. A more traditional news outlet I check on my Ipad or online is the New York Times. I enjoy reading it because it caters to everyone around the world, and doesn't tend to be biased enough to make me react emotionally to what is supposed to be a straight forward story.

On a less traditional route, I love reading articles on Mashable.com. I loved my Social Media class Junior year and became very interested in the dynamics of such sites. Mashable posts articles for those interested in keeping up with social media trends and different technologies that make sites like Facebook and Twitter interesting and effective. It's a great site for those that want to be more knowledgeable and proficient in social media techniques.

Though I'm not sure where this road is taking me, it's an adventure all the same and I want to make the most of it. Whatever your adventure is, take the roads you're afraid of. You never know where you'll go and how much you will learn about yourself.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment